Monday, August 17, 2009

At Home

Got the opportunity to drive out to Canmore on Saturday for our Condo Association board meeting. It provided an excellent opportunity to get out and stretch my legs. After calling all my climbing buddies, and no one being available, I decided to go on a bit of a quick scramble.

I ended up choosing the East End of Rundle over Ha Ling. Mostly because EEOR has a bit more hands on scrambling than the straight forward hike up Ha Ling. It's also a bit longer, and it's always nice to test the fitness. I made the summit in 1 hour and 11 minutes which is about 20 minutes faster than any other time I've been on this mountain. Guess the fitness is all right.

Sitting at the summit and having lunch felt "normal". It was a bit of an odd feeling, but a very nice one. It's been so long since I've done any sort of frequent scrambling or hiking, that I wasn't sure I would feel at home on the verticle terrain. But sitting on the edge of a bit of a drop off and eating a sandwich felt just right. Looking across the bowl at the top to some sheer verticle cliffs didn't produce the same feeling of intimidation as usual. The best way to explain it was just feeling at home. Kind of like things are as they should be. It was comforting.

The way down got tiring, but maybe the best part of the whole thing was dunking my head in the cold water of White Man's Pond at the base before getting into the car and driving home. So, comfortable and refreshed, off home I went. Great day in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment